School with all the subjects and exams is already difficult. But it becomes doubly challenging when you do not even know where to begin. Such is often the problem with the research paper as most teachers allow their students to investigate something of interest to them. Because there are so many choices, some students are overwhelmed.
If you find yourself rattled by the urgent need to select a research topic, read on to learn what to do.
- Consider your top interests
A good place to start is what interests you in your subject. Even if you do not like the class subject much, you can still think of something interesting. For example, if you are into computers but the research project is for History, you can consider the history of computers or focus on the lives of the pioneers in computing. There is always a way if you give time to think.
- Check the resources available
Research papers need to be supported by several references, not just one or two. Teachers often require you to have a minimum of three sources per angle of your argument. So before settling on something, start looking online and visit your library’s database to see if these exist. Otherwise, you will be asked to choose something else.
- Always have a backup
Because your topic still needs approval by your teacher, it pays to always have a backup. So when thinking of your interests and doing your initial resource check, make sure you do the same for two other backup topics in case your primary choice is rejected.
What are good topics for a research paper?
If you find that you cannot come up with anything or need a little nudge in the right direction, take a look at these possible research paper topics.
Good history research paper topics
- Main causes of the Spanish-American War
- Effects of the Korean War on Asia today
- Were gladiators similar to the celebrities of today?
- What caused Martin Luther to break away from the church?
- How did bartering affect early trade?
Literature research paper topics
- How successful were J.K. Rowling’s literary attempts outside Harry Potter?
- Gender stereotypes in Twilight
- Fiction as revolutionary propaganda
- Elements of subversive poetry
- Should fan fiction be studied in school?
Interesting health research paper topics
- Are mandatory vaccines to be trusted or feared?
- Does acupuncture really work?
- Is there any merit to legalizing marijuana for health purposes?
- Is it possible to do medical trials without using animals?
- Are there any dangers of becoming a vegetarian?
Environmental research paper topics
- How bad is the plastic pollution problem?
- Are biodegradable plastics safe for the planet?
- What can be done to save rainforests?
- Can poaching be stopped?
- Which is worse for nature, raising cattle or raising pigs?
Controversial topics in psychology for research paper
- Can depression become contagious?
- How do gadgets cause insomnia?
- What are the signs of a potential nervous breakdown?
- Effects of music on anxiety
- Have today’s parenting techniques made children more vulnerable to mental disorders?
Though a research paper can be hard, things are much easier if you love what you are researching. So consider the tips above and the options provided as possible choices for your paper. Happy writing!